Forum Topic

Gosh Philippa, you do like a diversion or obfuscation.It’s not tunnel vision to state that the council is offering a worse service for more money. Forget the other local authorities, even though they ALL do more than Ealing; this is about a deliberate hoodwinking of subscribers to a service who may not even have read the small print in the reminder email.If it’s about money then perhaps spanking the millions pursuing a boutique hotel in the Town Hall would have been better spent elsewhere. Or perhaps  as ps the £25,000 uplift in Special Responsibility Allowances for cabinet members, equating to £250,000 a year. Just to spell it for you, Philippa, that equates to one million pounds over four years. Value for money?As for weeds, well perhaps you’d better start campaigning for equal rights for them. I know quite a lot about gardening, more than you’d imagine, and the whole rewilding idea is built on a fallacious argument. By all means have a wilder area in your garden, that’s actually a good idea, but don’t make it all about that otherwise you end up with less desirable results.You let the thugs run riot in your garden and you end up with less biodiversity than you started with. Apart from nettles and bindweed, there are plenty of other plants that will take over, such as green alkanet, that are okay if confined but will rampage if given half a chance. What you also have to consider is what’s okay in your garden might not be okay next door.Have you written to Costigan and your local councillors to ask them to reconsider their change to the collections? I doubt it.

Simon Hayes ● 63d

You’ve really missed the point Philippa.Sharing a bin to reduce the cost burden won’t get it collected between December and March, will it? I already share with a neighbour, which is why the bin is always full. A shredder to chop it up won’t make a shred of difference. And even a once a month collection in winter is better than none, especially for people who don’t have access to a vehicle to take their waste to Greenford.Saying you didn’t think it should have been charged for in the first place is completely irrelevant. Ealing have charged for years and - this is the thing you seem to find hard to comprehend - the council appears to think it’s fine to charge more for a worse service. If this was any other organisation you’d doubtless be crying foul immediately.Nigel has posted the charges (or indeed lack of charges) from neighbouring boroughs. Easy enough to find if you scroll through.I think that’s the first time I’ve heard racism used in the context of weeds. Are you sure it’s not another type of weed you’ve been indulging in to come up with such nonsense There are plenty of weeds that aren’t particularly great to have in a garden. Bindweed and ground elder are very common and aren’t much benefit to insects, particularly when they swamp the plants that do provide the habitats and food sources for our pollinators. Some ‘weeds’ are just wild flowers but it’s almost impossible to prevent them setting seed once established. Oh, and nettles spread via stolons and rhizomes as well as seed, and I suggest you go and see how much fun it is to dig out a large and established clump in your garden. I doubt most people would be happy to see their small plots overrun with them.But all that is beside the point. You have to admit that the council has made a big mistake with this new policy.

Simon Hayes ● 63d

So I've suggested ways that you can mitigate the expense for instance sharing garden waste bins and reducing the volume, having already said that I did not and do not think that the service should ever have been introduced as a paying service.  Although of course no doubt there are those who don't have gardens who would prefer not to subsidise anyone else - just as they would prefer not to pay for schools that they don't use or the care services they don't use etc etc - but may need in the future.  However that is not the point of Council services and with gardens they are good for the wellbeing of everyone, as well as helping to mitigate the flash flooding by slowing the rainwater from the increased sudden downpours we are now getting from reaching our Victorian combined rainwater and sewage systems.Twickenham now has a new Library of Things but unfortunately not a garden shredder - so far.I consider the obsession with weeds completely racist.  They are simply plants that are out of place.  A lot of them are important for insects.  Bees love dandelions.  At least five butterflies lay their eggs on nettles.  Generally you need to make sure they don't get a chance to seed.  There are only a couple of these plants which are a big problem and one of those - Japanese Knotweed - is NOT supposed to even go in the garden waste collection AT ALL and you can find yourself being prosecuted if you allow it to encroach on your neighbours' land or you try and dispose of it how and where you shouldn't.  BTW Brent has a monthly collection during the winter months and doesn't collect Christmas trees (which is what a lot of Brent residents put in their garden waste bin) but they do have some collection places for Christmas trees in parks just as Ealing does.But does any other of our local Councils have such a high yearly subscription rate?  I haven't found one.  And when did you last see a Council compost giveaway in Ealing?  Years ago I remember posting about them to advertise them.

Philippa Bond ● 63d

I use the system every time, full bin each time, cost shared with a neighbour. Been that way for well over a decade. That’s even with having a compost bin in the gardensIt’s not digging my heels in, as you suggest, it’s pointing out that the council is extracting the urine by charging more for a reduced service. They didn’t advertise the fact and the information is buried deep in the text of the reminder email. A lot of people will sign up and then wonder where their collections have gone during winter. They certainly didn’t discuss it with the other parties in the council and I know that they have had a lot of correspondence from residents on the matter.Cllr Costigan is being disingenuous. She’s the one telling us to cut car journeys and yet this decision will result in more traffic heading to the tip, if people can be bothered. As I said, making recycling more difficult means people do it less. And as Nigel posted, the neighbouring councils all still offer a 12 month service. Costigan hasn’t produced any evidence of the savings that will be made, despite being asked. As I said, if savings need to be made they should start with their own allowances and the amounts handed over to consultants. Not has she said what happens with the collection crews. Are they laid off for three months?Unlike you Phillipa I don’t have hours of spare time on my hands to set up groups. The point of the council service is it encourages recycling. Kerbside collection of material that goes off to be professionally processed is far preferable to any alternative. Besides, where is all the shredded material the residents produce going to go? Sit in a big pile until the council comes back in March?Frankly, this change underlines just how unhinged Ealing Council’s green policies are. Obsessed with cycling but happy to build on Metropolitan Open Land, close down recycling centres and support Heathrow expansion. Anyone who defends them really does need their heads examined.

Simon Hayes ● 69d

The answer to everything in life isn't just to dig your heels in and insist on no change.  There ARE other Councils who don't collect all year round. In fact I was surprised that Ealing did.  Whether they stop for three months is another matter - do they?  If they didn't think they could make cuts and make savings then why would they suggest it?  It is not what I would choose as I don't think they have looked further than their spreadsheet and appreciated the bigger picture. I have NEVER suggested that everyone should fork out for new things. Hammersmith has a Library of Things but unfortunately it doesn't include a garden shredder although it does include a paper shredder because I looked at this a long time ago.  Ealing ACT considered setting one up but it doesn't look as though they achieved this.  Previous to this there has been another system where neighbours were borrowing tools from each other locally.  I expect people may be using another forum when looking to borrow or share gardening and other tools. I know of others in the country called Shared Shed or something along those lines. "Who are all these people who are supposed to ‘get together’?"  You talked about your neighbours but do you actually talk to them?  We only have a small amount of space and we have bags instead of bins so it is very obvious how little gets put out especially during the winter months along the street.  There didn't even seem to be as many Christmas trees put out on the street this year but there were definitely still lots that had been taken to the parks for chipping - even though unfortunately the Council info varied from the twitter message and the website message.It sounds like you are just making a stand just for the sake of it.  Instead of whingeing about it and attacking anyone who doesn't agree completely with you why don't you consider setting up a group if you can't find one?  How do you think any other groups come about?  Perhaps an established group such as Friends of the Earth do something like this.  I don't know.  I did put a message on one of these sites at one time asking where I could hire a garden shredder from and someone replied but I didn't follow through because other things in life intervened.Deidre Costigan's letter sounded like a good response - although obviously not what you wanted to hear.  BTW How much do you actually use the system?

Philippa Bond ● 69d

Response from Cllr Costigan. She’s not terribly convincing. Last part seems to be off a press release. FYI, none of our neighbouring boroughs are moving to a ‘three season service’.‘Hi Simon,Thank you for your email.The cost of the garden waste service for this year has risen in line with inflation in order to in some way reflect the cost to the council of providing the service. The service currently costs the council a significant amount to provide, even after subscriptions from residents are taken into account.The reality is that like many councils, we are now in the position where about 70% of our funding has to be spent on adult and children's social care, both of which are statutory services which we are required to provide by law. This leaves very little for other services and we are therefore unable to continue to substantially subsidise the garden waste service which is a discretionary service, not required by law, and which is offered to residents like myself who are lucky enough to have a garden.We have benchmarked the service against other councils across London and this has identified that many councils are increasingly moving to a three season service which pauses in the low growth winter months after leaf fall, where it does not make sense to spend precious council resources on collecting significantly lower amounts of garden waste.If needed garden waste can still be taken to the household waste and recycling centre in Greenford over the winter months and disposed of for free. Compost bins are another low carbon alternative if you need to dispose of garden waste in the low growth months. Sharing a garden waste bin with a neighbour is also an option which can help reduce the cost of the service overall.Regards,Deirdre.’

Simon Hayes ● 69d