Forum Topic

I've Cycled all my life locally. Despite that I am still not a good long distance rider, never was.  And I have come of my Bike a few times. Never as a result of another Vehicle but from black ice and very slippery surfaces. The worst being a few years ago on the rotten leaves and residue along the Cycle Track on the Great West Road.But just as in any machine, Human Powered or Motorised. It is only as safe and the Brain controlling it.I know and have always known where locally you have to extremely careful. To always ride or drive expecting the unexpected. To always use diligence and ettiquette. To be seen and position oneself to ensure others can see me.The current blame culture which has crept into society passes responsibility often unfairly.  To jump off a Moving bus ( when you could ) and trusting an ankle is the result of one's own actions and self responsibility.  Then ambulance chasing lawyers start winning cases against the bus operators for 'unsafe designs'.The LCC meetings and a few cycle rides were mixed. Some nice afternoons spent but far too much of a "do as we do or you're not in the gang" culture. So running red lights, using right turns and deliberately blocking through traffic to the left and hurling insults at motorists was encouraged by 'Qualified Leads and instructors'A bike is just 2 wheels. Anyone can fall off, especially when stationary or in poor conditions, and it can happen to anyone, even those who are professional riders.But courting risk and accidents or even causing evasive action by Buses in particular is a mentality that is now far too common and has been propagated by the LCC and their political chums. It's interesting that almost every member when I used to pop along was a politically minded activist to a greater or lesser degree but very few absolute Bike Nuts.Full of disdain for almost anyone but their own ilk.So I might ride a bike and I do want to see far more pragmatic improvements with mandatory Proficiency tests, light and mudguards and bells or horns on any that use roads. And most of all safe non slip and properly maintained roads to enable the worst hazards of slippery detritus, ruts and potholes. The Cycleways with bollards are not ever cleansed so all the residue is on the camber and I for one now know why so many fellow cyclists ride outside of the bollards. Its slippy.  If daily maintenance, cannot be factored in then the whole exercise if pointless.

Raymond Havelock ● 164d