Forum Topic

The MOST unfriendly pub in Ealing

Popped the following off to Mr Martin at J D Wetherspoon and awaiting response from Regional Manager. Enough is enough, if you claim to be operating a pub then make it a pub!Tim Martin,J.D. Wetherspoon CompanyDear Mr. Martin,As I aspire to be a gentleman IM giving you a 'heads-up' on the review that I have submitted to TripAdvisor on the Sir Michael Balcon in Ealing. It seems to match the general trend of reviews for this establishment. I note that in the past few days the opening hour in the morning seems to have changed from eight a.m. to 9 a.m. Is this correct?Yours sincerely,Mark J. Raymond,33, Creighton Road,Ealing, London, W5 4SHThe MOST unfriendly pub in EalingOh God! What have you done Tim Martin! What happened To Brexit and nice bar maids you could chat to like in the other pubs in Ealing. This has to be the unfriendliest pubs in Ealing where the staff are incapable of speech or do not want to speak. When pressed they say 'we have been spoken to about speaking to customers' whatever that means. Some professional bar staff not students from the University of West London would be welcome, people who do not feel 'threatened' by someone older than they are talking to them, that is, over 21. This is a pub not a politically correct crèche! Find some staff who are not babies!!!!!Oh, and why are customers not allowed to sit on bar stools alongside the bar - a most traditional British activity. Anyway, Tim, if there is any Brexit left in you, please could you restore the staff to speaking, and if necessary get the Wetherspoons board to send a letter to the management of this pub telling them to allow customers to sit at the bar on bar stools

Julian Raymond ● 208d8 Comments

In my musings, I've often pondered the curious policy that denies patrons the privilege of occupying the Sir Michael Balcon's barstools. The establishment boasts an expansive counter, stretching an impressive thirty or perhaps even forty feet in length, yet it frequently hosts a few forsaken souls, standing idly by, all but invisible to the indifferent staff. This arrangement, I dare say, lacks hospitality and exhibits a conspicuous absence of foresight.Upon entering, one is met with a peculiar obstruction – the first third of the bar, adjacent to the entrance, is obstructed by an array of cash registers and computers, rendering it inaccessible for service. It strikes me as rather odd, for one would anticipate that a warm smile and prompt service should greet the incoming patron at this juncture. It ought to be a place where one's order is taken with courtesy, perhaps a simple "Hello" or "Goodbye" when departing. Such a practice would naturally guide patrons further along the bar to retrieve their libations.Alas, the final third of the bar is also encumbered with a superfluous assortment of objects and contraptions, leaving only the central third, situated at a right angle to the entrance, as the sole point of interaction. Predictably, on busier evenings, a throng of patrons accumulates here, resulting in undue stress for both staff and clientele. In any other establishment, patrons seeking refreshment would be served along the length of this extensive counter, with the occasional patron perched on a stool, engaged in jovial conversation.Indeed, it is my concurrence that, by definition, this establishment must rank among the most inhospitable public houses in Ealing. The inability to engage in convivial conversation with companions while seated on stools at the bar stands as a testament to this unwelcoming disposition. Furthermore, a perplexing matter perplexes me - on bustling nights, a towering stack of hundreds of drinking vessels occupies the far third of the bar, nearest the television. I am left to ponder the rationale behind this practice. Considering the abundance of staff during such times, one must question the difficulty in cleansing a glass. Regrettably, this circumstance only contributes to the prevailing impression of inadequate management.

Paul Halls ● 207d