Forum Topic

Perivale Park Golf Course fights on

PERIVALE PARK GOLF COURSE  HOST PRACTICE SESSION  FOR TOP UK AMATURE GOLFERSDespite the on going threat from Ealing Council to close their public golf course completely. Perivale Municipal Golf Course players handed over  their practice facilities to top amateur golfers from across the UK competing in the British Amateur Open held this weekend at Ealing Golf Club. Ealing Golf Club volunteers Tayan Wagjiani and Joe Pearson arrived just after dawn to convert what is basically a field into a highly sophisticated professional practice area.Regular golfers on the course were amazed at the distance and accuracy being achieved by those practising.Joe Jadavjee who has been playing on the Perivale course for 47 years said. This is a great honour for us. It's not often we see players of this calibre on our little municipal course. When I first started I arrived with six clubs. I got chatting with two regular players and have been hooked on this course ever since. I would like to wish them all the best of luck.Jack Eatherley a regular course user, involved in developing and designing sports social impact initiatives for over 20 years commented on the proposed closure of the course by Ealing Council said:I’m very sad to hear about the decision to close the Perivale Golf course. I know golf clubs sometimes have a reputation for snobbishness and elitism but this particular course is the polar opposite of this. It’s a tremendous social asset; encouraging all parts of the community from all backgrounds a safe place to learn to play golf from dawn to dusk. Instead of closing this facility I would encourage England Golf and the Council to really study participation here and replicate it.  It’s a shining example of how to break down barriers and promote the very first steps into a sport for both young and old.

David Chapman ● 218d1 Comments