Forum Topic

Gordon, I’m not sure making excuses for the Council making a wrong decision in the first place and then throwing good money after bad makes any sense.Mastcraft came on board in 2016. The Victoria Hall trust issues came to light quite soon after that, we’ll before any planning application was submitted.Indeed, in January 2019 the council’s (taxpayer funded) mouthpiece Around Ealing reported:‘There has been some slippage in the programme arising from the building’s status as an asset of community value and the fact that part of the building is held in trust. In particular, the council is seeking approval from the Charity Commission to change the way that part of the building, including the Victoria Hall, is managed in the future.Proposals received during the community asset moratorium period have now been considered by the general purposes committee and their recommendation is that cabinet agrees to proceed with the Mastcraft proposal. Cabinet will meet in February to consider this. However, the council is still waiting for a decision from the Charity Commission. To prevent further delays, Mastcraft has started the planning application process. However, no work will start on site before Charity Commission approval has been given.’So rather than hedge bets, or be told by the council that nothing could be done until the position of the Hall was clarified, Mastcraft went full tilt into planning. Doubtless they were encouraged to go so by Julian Bell, whose confidence in his own abilities knew no bounds. If they incurred costs then that’s their own fault, not something Ealing residents should be covering. Perhaps if Bell and his cronies were covering such costs themselves they might have had second thoughts.Of course there will have been some upfront costs to Mastcraft, but not disclosed and certainly nothing in the region of £350,000 before any plans were drawn up.You say: ‘I presume the council was willing to become a respondent in the case and take on the costs because the Charity Commission assured them that they would not lose and the council had to do so if it was paying the costs’.If that was the case then those responsible should be sacked or removed from office immediately. The one guarantee of legal cases is that you cannot predict the outcome, least of all if that prediction is coming from a body whose decision is being challenged. Every lawyer I’ve spoken to about this case over the years has said the same thing, that the property of the trust is paramount. Incompetent or irresponsible, take your pick.Of course the Town Hall should remain a public building and this council should take some responsibility for the assets in its care. Who knows what the repair costs are now. Arthur Breens asked some years back, when this hotel was still on the cards, what works were needed and how much they would cost. Of course he never received a response.

Simon Hayes ● 213d

Not really sure what you are driving at but you don't seem to have any real grasp of how the planning process works and work on the assumption that if someone tells you something you don't understand they must be lying to you. Councillors sitting on a planning committee are obliged to cast their votes solely based on planning law. There may be a degree on subjectivity which gives them some leeway but, if an officer's report has been presented to the committee recommending approval they need some very persuasive reasons to vote against. You own example, based on what I suspect is an imaginary conversation with a female councillors, doesn't strengthen your case but undermines it. Councillors are aware that a vote against a scheme without solid legal grounds could end up with a very expensive loss with the planning inspectorate. There are obvious problems with the system but not the ones you are harping on about. Large developers have the legal muscle to intimidate councils into accepting schemes that push the boundaries of what is allowed. This isn't an Ealing problem but a national one. Councils involved in projects in their own borough also effectively are the authority allowing it to proceed which is a clear conflict on interest but this is baked into the system and, once again, not a specific problem for Ealing. Your empty-headed allegations and name-calling only serves to obscure what is actually going on here which is profoundly concerning but more complex than you appear able to comprehend.

Gordon Southwell ● 213d

An indemnity to a private sector partner in an arrangement like this is normal practice. This, I believe, was by far Mastcraft's biggest deal and the upfront costs it had to take on would have wiped it out if they weren't refundable. If the council wasn't willing to offer indemnities, then it would have significantly narrowed the range of partners for the project. It is therefore wrong to condemn them for this arrangement. We agree about the problems with the Victoria Hall process. The only issue I would take with what you say is that I presume the council was willing to become a respondent in the case and take on the costs because the Charity Commission assured them that they would not lose and the council had to do so if it was paying the costs. You accuse me of being naive for saying that there is no budget for maintenance for the Town Hall. Problem here is that I never said that or came close to suggesting that it might be the case. There will be a certain amount of money set aside but what has to be assumed is that rising material and labour costs are putting pressure on that budget and the recent decision to vacate the building suggests more issues are arising that will require even greater expense. Of course it is likely that part of this problem has been cause by long term neglect and underspending but we are where we are. Do you believe the council should keep the Town Hall in full public ownership and if so what would be the cost of bringing it up to the required specifications and the annual cost of maintenance?

Gordon Southwell ● 213d

If you think calling people names is going to persuade them around to your point of view, you are mistaken. While there are a lot of questions raised by this fiasco and Ealing Council's behaviour has often been heavy-handed and secretive, it has to be accepted that an estate consisting of some expensive to maintain Grade II listed building would be a challenge for any council and across the country local authorities of all shades have brought in private sector development partners to help deal with a problem such as this one. Mastcraft may not have been a good choice as development partner but no company would have been willing to enter into a partnership like this without an indemnity if it didn't proceed. This cost is hard to accept for taxpayers but was inevitable as soon as the project floundered. I don't believe it can be claimed that the planning committee's hands were tied by the existence of the indemnity. They are obliged to make decision on planning law and it wouldn't have been a constraint on how opposition councillors voted. Saying that I can't recall how the vote went when this scheme was put to the committee. The legal costs are also hard to swallow and the council's stupidity in not engaging properly with the Friends group and other interested parties is breathtaking as I'm sure they would have been amenable to a compromise. However, it must be acknowledged that this case was not against the Council but the Charity Commission. While evidence is growing of dysfunction in that organisation, it is not unreasonable for the council to have believed it knew what it was doing. When the dust settles the basic problem remains. The council does not have the resources to maintain and repair these buildings and, even if they did, there is a strong argument that there would be better uses for the money. What I would like to see is an open public tender for projects that would provide a solution to these issues with bidders obliged to specify how they would protect community use and public heritage rather than rather obscure deals that seem to emerge from the council with little explanation. 

Gordon Southwell ● 214d