Forum Topic

Historic Route no 607 to end on Friday

With no public consultation whatsoever, the heritage hating Mayor is using TfL again as a political tool to push through the rebranding of the 80 year old 607/207 bus Route.This has been rushed through to coincide with the Uxbridge and South Ruislip By-Election and to beef up promised coverage in the area next week by the BBC - especially BBC London who have been in 'talks' with the Mayors office for some weeks on 'ideas'.  Hardly impartial.All rather bizarre.The 607 was the original route number for the 207 dating back to when it was a trolleybus route.In 1960 it became the 207.Then in a rare successful initiative the 607 was revived as a comfort and speedy limited stop Express route complimentary to the 207.Some bright spark has now selected the route to be renumbered SL 8  Not to be confused with Slough Local routes and bears no instinctive association to the 207 route or finding one's way around by logical association.SL stands for Superloop. It seems to have failed TfL SuperSalaried that the 207/607 is an almost entirely straight route end to end and not even a radial route. It is a trunk arterial route.It's pure vanity marketing. The latest gimmick livery and publicity claimed all sorts of features but even the USB chargers are actually just stickers !  So rushed purely to meet a political event so it's not going to happen anytime soon.The route remains the same, with the same frequency, with a bit of basic poor graphics. In reality the 207 -427 -607 already has had a substantial cut in capacity as the 3rd component of the 207 route, the 427, has already been cut back with journey, waiting times increased some months ago, along with capacity so as to not clash with this purely imposed political vanity exercise.TfL's own road improvements along with those of Local authorities have actually lengthens the travel journey times considerably even on early and sunday trips. Compare the original timetable with the mess of the newer ones and it's dreadful. The 607 is not really the express route it was or should be.  This Branding makes no difference to the actual service.Disregard for the long established and easy to familiarise London Bus Network with stupid renumbering, flaky claims and misleading marketing of a loop system that makes no sense unless you have time on your hands is indicative of the mess that TfL has become and how  politicians meddling is stuffing up so many aspects of London's better bits.SuperLoopy Indeed.

Raymond Havelock ● 298d34 Comments

The point is London Buses had a simple numbering scheme which has been so messed with that it is now confusing.427 is an example it is actually the 207 split in half.  It was the only free number but TfL deemed  207A as 'confusing using alphabet and numbers" ( It had worked for 100 years prior)So what's the significance of SL8 ? It should be at the very least SL7 to provide a link to 207Pure ill thought out. Not unlike the Badge engineering the British Leyland were so keen on.But when London was much smaller. London Transport operated bus services over a very much wider area. Much of the home counties and it was fully integrated with red bus and outer train services.The numbering was simple 1-299 for red Buses  300-499 for green country buses. 500 to 5XX for Hi density short express commuter buses ( Red Arrow services.600 to 6XX for Limited stop express services that shadow the same Route i.e. 207 and there was also the 616 which was a limited stop express over route 16700-7XX for long distance Green Line coach services800 for country area local express services.It was all joined up and logical and with a little bit of basic information becomes instinctiveI use the buses a lot. And I now find I cannot remember the stupid route branding, across London it has become very muddles and there are now duplicate route numbers in different parts. As for SL. Buses run to Slough from Uxbridge and Slough local Routes since privatisation have SL routes just like the E routes local to Ealing. At that time that was regarded as a mistake but the difference was it was a complete remodelling of services and even then mixed in with new routes with normal route numbers 273 274 and 208 for example.

Raymond Havelock ● 297d

I am just as annoyed as the next person about the 427 route. I miss it, especially for the short trips. Everywhere between Acton and Southall has lost 6 or 7 buses an hour. We are all inconvenienced and pissed off with it. BUT, on average, buses are now only carrying between 40 and 60% of their capacity, so TfL has to make savings. It makes perfect business sense to cut the wastage, which why you see now the 207's almost always full to bursting.The 427's were notorious for terminating early. They always got stuck in the traffic, which was another reason given for shortening their route.  Picking up on Raymond's point about the SL607 not being arterial. It is not the only one on the SL network that doesn't run in an arc. There will be one from South London straight into central London with limited stops. I cannot remember the route number, but I am sure someone will want to Google it! The point of the rebranding, I think, is to make an imprint on peoples' minds of what SL bus route does what. In a similar vein all the overground lines (eg Richmond to Stratford, Gospel Oak to Barking, Euston to Watford) will be having their own names to help people get a better orientation sense. These changes from the 607 will make no difference to any of us; the frequency remains the same and the stopping points are all the same. What is the problem? I'm sure you will get used to the change in a few years time, as people will have done when Hanwell & Elthorne Station changed its name to just plain old Hanwell?

Ben Owen ● 297d