Forum Topic

Fact is we have a large population of older people and we all get old.Whilst we live a lot longer, and in far better general health,  the human body still wears out at roughly the same age bands as always.With that longevity brings further ailments and conditions that this country has never really come to terms with in accommodating properly.  Never properly factored in.If you look at highly active sports people, they are very often crocked before 50 and need a lot of treatment.Stuff wears and as a lifelong cyclist have now just been warned that I am now risking my lower back, hips, knees and ankles which are wearing rapidly and may have to consider my options for walking, running and cycling.I am gutted. And I'm not anywhere near 60 yet.  And its a good 20 years since I did any competitive sport and was never a long distance ' serious' cyclist, so have never overdone things. But it's apparently " occupational and recreational wear and tear".Arthritis sets in for 1 in 3 around 60.  It changes peoples lives slowly and silently but is more common than many of the trumped up conditions that are not verifiable, but constantly used to justify policies.So what about those many thousands that may currently be more than able to walk, run and cycle? Who have been fit and healthy for most of their lives and have looked after themselves?Totally out of the equation. And it is a very significant number. Could be anyone at any time.It's great when you can do all these things with ease and default. But then what when those simple things become not so pleasurable or very difficult ?

Raymond Havelock ● 332d

Oh Dear.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12167319/Ministers-wasted-billions-pounds-taxpayers-money-LTNs-says-watchdog.htmlLow Traffic Nonsense: Ministers have wasted billions of pounds of taxpayers' money on 'active travel' schemes, says watchdog.£3.3b was spent on LTNs between 2016 and 2021 but walking and cycling fell.Anti-car schemes have divided the country and led to violence in some areas. By DAVID CHURCHILL CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAILPUBLISHED: 00:20, 7 June 2023 | UPDATED: 00:21, 7 June 2023Billions of pounds of taxpayers’ cash has potentially been wasted on ‘active travel’ schemes such as controversial low-traffic neighbourhoods, according to a report.Despite an estimated £3.3billion being spent on delivering such measures between 2016 and 2021, cycling and walking rates fell over that period, the National Audit Office study found.Officials at the Department for Transport did not require town halls to monitor LTN schemes worth less than £2million – meaning it is not even known if many have provided value for money.Much of the cash handed to local authorities was spent during the pandemic in a bid to encourage more people to walk and cycle.But anti-car schemes have divided communities across the country, sparking violence in areas with vigilantes dismantling some.Many councils have hailed LTNs, which include pop-up cycle lanes, wider pavements and closing streets to cars, as a success.But the report found the Government’s active travel schemes have failed to boost walking and cycling rates, with the DfT set to miss three of four such targets by 2025.It said many were imposed on residents without proper consultation and poorly planned ones have subsequently been scrapped. The study said: ‘Between 2016 and 2021, DfT spent £2.3billion funding local authorities to build new active travel infrastructure.‘DfT does not know the totality of what local authorities have achieved through this funding and has identified that infrastructure it has funded may not have been good enough quality. This resulted in some poor value schemes.’It also said: ‘Some active travel schemes were removed prematurely before they could be tested properly because they proved controversial... it is unlikely that DfT’s objectives for increased active travel by 2025 will be achieved.’The report found that more than half of town halls were given a level one or below ranking in terms of their ability to effectively deliver schemes. Level zero was the lowest rating and four was the highest.The DfT estimates that the Government spent £3.3billion on active travel between April 2016 and March 2021. Of this around £2.3billion was handed to town halls to build schemes, including LTNs.It is expected that ministers will spend another £3.3billion until March 2025. Howard Cox, founder of campaign group FairFuelUK, said: ‘It is staggering how much money has and continues to be squandered by clueless politicians on active travel fantasy projects.’A DfT spokesman said it is investing more than any previous government to help promote active travel.

Rosco White ● 333d