Forum Topic

The scheme is a mix of refurbished bikes and recovered bikes and all are safe for road use.  Choosing a flat district at least increases a degree of take up.I hope that there is a clause that the bike is returned if not used or grown out of or replaced with a better one.  Then it can be repeated.But I would lay odds that if not, there will be a spike in bikes for sale on EBay in the Southall Area pretty soon. In fact not just Southall but anywhere where this is happening.There are good aspects to this but I remain a bit cynical about the lack of a standard level form of proficiency.  It would be good if a ' secret shopper' with impeccable cycling and safety credentials checked out the wildly varying degrees of tuition and testing and a return to the common sense of not allowing under 11s cycling to school without a full certificate of proficiency.Since I did mine, much has changed, some good, some bad. I did not have ear buds, mobile devices with screens, cameras or good lights.Nor a helmet, knee and elbow pads or hi-viz anything.But vehicles are much larger, too many have blind spots and poor near visibility.They are now global products and not ideal for British streets - Even worse in some European streets.Buses are almost silent from behind as are EVs.Cycling requires greater spacial awareness - as does crossing the road as a pedestrian.The distractions of today have added to the hazards which were brought home and taught to be instinctive.It's pure simple common sense to not do what too many Cyclists and Scooterists do.  But they do it and too many.That alone says how important safety first is.

Raymond Havelock ● 352d

Probably to do with the huge amount of large showy cars !Seriously though, Southall is the only part of the borough that is largely flat and thus easier to ride. It was ( from reference ) a very popular destination for Inner London Cycling touring clubs as it was "very open suburban and quiet with lots of good level roads"  - From 1953 !  Hard to imagine now but it is still quite level.Even as a lifelong cyclist locally, Many parts of Ealing, Hanwell and Greenford were a real struggle, even when very fit and agile and not possible now without some form of assisted propulsion.Even Brentford to Ealing is on a deceptive gradient. Which is why those in the know use traversing quiet street routes and not the marked cycleways.But much of the district is for those young, agile and very fit. I note that only those riding super light racing machines are capable of non stop or non wobble riding on the hilly bits.The reality most will need a more rugged practical versatile cycles that can carry shopping and possibly a small child.  Not a razor blade saddle and a bike with toe clips.The geography of a district does not make day to day chore riding really practicable. - Thus why so many shelled out for a small private car when they became affordable to working people. Life was hard and limited by means then. The private car unlocked that gate for many ordinary people.In all seriousness though,  will LBE also be providing mandatory training that has to be passed and not run by some fly by night Council Preferred operator?Will safety equipment from helmets to mudguards and working lights be provided?Or are lives in Southall not considered valuable enough to put safety first?Road safety in schools and in workplaces was Something that Ealing Borough of the past was excellent at.  It was always first priority.  Cycling to schools was only permitted at 11 and over and only with a RoSPA Cycling proficiency certificate.  Ealing, RoSPA and the Met Police excelled in this area for decades.I wonder if the same exponents will accept liability for any mishaps from rider inexperience or ignorance?Choice is one thing. Imposition by enticement is another.I strongly feel that priorities are so misplaced and safety and diligence should be first, rather than so many schemes that only benefit a very small gamut of cyclists.It's a shame that these implementing such schemes refuse to listen and address the negatives to make practicable positives and work harder to make things a proper success rather than a load of PR soundbites for a few weeks.

Raymond Havelock ● 352d