Forum Topic

ZSL Hedgehog Highways planned for West London

A new network of Hedgehog Highways has been planned to help London’s hedgehogs, a mammal that is declining so rapidly it is now classed as Vulnerable to Extinction. To address a major cause of the decline, Ealing Wildlife Group is making CD-sized holes in fences across Hanwell and Pitshanger and plans to extend the project further in the Borough of Ealing. Created with the permission of fence owners, Hedgehog Highways make it easier for hedgehogs to find food and a mate.The initiative is part of a joint project with Zoological Society of London (ZSL) to use cameras to survey existing hedgehog populations, create new hedgehog habitats and educate residents about how they can help the species.ZSL’s London HogWatch Project Manager, Kate Scott-Gatty said:“Our survey shows that gardens and allotments are particularly important habitats for hedgehogs in Ealing and connecting them is critical for their long-term survival in the area.” Ealing Wildlife Group Chair, Sean McCormack said:“We’re delighted with the success of our project’s first phase in Hanwell and now really need help to roll out Hedgehog Highways across the borough. Improving and connecting hedgehog habitats will help lots of other wildlife species and give our Ealing community the chance to discover the value of protecting nature and green spaces.”Ealing Wildlife Group is staffed entirely by volunteers who will use trail cameras to identify existing hedgehog populations that can be connected by Hedgehog Highways. Extra funding will be used to purchase drilling equipment, create new habitats and deliver education campaigns in schools, communities and parks in Acton, Northolt and Southall.To donate, please visit https://www.spacehive.com/build-hedgehog-highways

Lydia I Martin ● 389d5 Comments

This was a work project of mine when I started work as a researcher with an agricultural veterinary company in my first job.But the demise of the Hedgehog is far more complex and still not understood even after 30 years.But there are interesting parallels. The rise of the Urban Fox correlates with the decline of the Urban Hedgehog. Yet Urban Foxes are not a predator to Hedgehogs.Their scent though, is aversive to Hedgehogs.  And Hedgehogs and Foxes are rarely found in the same habitat zones. Urban Foxes have ( unlike their rural cousins ) become scavengers with different tastes and now rather averse to procuring Rats. Yet they are still predatory with Fowl. Even then they would rather KFC! Scavenging Foxes do like some of the foods Hedgehogs rely on but only in certain conditions.Certain breeds of Dog that sniff out and forage often expose Hedgehogs and there are far more dogs now than in the last 60 years. Few will make a kill but the disturbance is often enough.Rats though, are main culprits of Hedgehog demise. They are vicious predators of Hedgehogs.The increase in Rats has been huge as the rise of Fast Food and Cafes, Eating on the move and al fresco and food recycling also correlates with the demise graph.I don't ever remember seeing Rats- a -plenty when I did a 5am Paper round as a kid, nor even going to school.  But now it's a common sight early in the morning and very late at night. Particularly in South Ealing but that maybe because I cycle that way most.Rat faeces and urine is far more harmful to Hedgehogs but not too good for Foxes either and come to that, Humans. The problem is not going to reverse unless the rat / vermin population is brought under control and significantly reduced.Hedgehogs have also been prone to a very nasty species of Tick which is now quite common in West London and thrives from long grasses and certain vegetation and on Foxes, Dogs and birds. Hedgehogs were very common locally even in tiny back yards.But even in places where very little has changed in 50 years.We noted that Red Kites will prey on Young Hedgehogs in the Chilterns.There are not any, in abundance locally, but there are several smaller birds of prey locally who will take Pigeons and Rats but I've only seen that occur myself a couple of times in the past decade. Too few to be a significant.  That is nature, being nature. The problem with making holes is it also creates further Rat runs and that may end up finishing off Hedgehogs altogether. I trust this has been considered and measures in place to avert such.It may place relatively safe Hedgehogs at risk rendering a safe domain more vulnerable It's a good idea but the most serious problems need to be eradicated or reduced first.

Raymond Havelock ● 388d