Forum Topic

It would be nice to have some numbers on this but I doubt it constitutes more than 1% of total revenues so it seems to be a strange on to lead with. Generally I am not a great believer in PR but it does have the potential to be revenue positive for instance if it is encouraging people to visit London or take up TfL services. If the spending is audited for effectiveness an increase is not necessarily indicative of profligacy The consensus is that rising crime in London is largely down to the fall in police numbers which ultimately is a result of the decline in the grant from central government to the Metropolitan Police. Khan has been associated with some very good initiatives on knife crime although whether is just as a photo op it is hard to tell. He also is investing money out of the GLA budget to increase community policing which he shouldn't have to do In an organisation of the size and complexity of TfL it is not surprising that there are several hundred people on six figure salaries. A lot of these will be engineers with scarce skills or working on the IT side. I would agree that excessive salaries in the public sector at senior level is a problem but I see no evidence that TfL is particularly bad in this regard He would have been obliged to publicly support the head of the Met until it was time for her to go. It seems in retrospect that doing so was the right decision I would tend to broadly agree with you on this point with the caveat that the ULEZ expansion was mandated in the DfT's funding package for TfL so he had little choice. I refer you to 2. You need to make your mind up, do you want a low precept rise or more police officers? I am not Sadiq Khan's number one fan. My views are that his abilities are very limited and, when I have seen him in action at meeting, he gave the impression of being slightly out of his depth. However, he also appears to be a decent, unflashy, courteous individual with a genuine sense of mission to do the right thing for London. Had Rory Stewart remained a candidate, I would have voted for him but of those that remained during the last contest, I think Londoners chose wisely and I can't see anyone emerging at this stage to seriously challenge him if he chooses to stand again.  

Gordon Southwell ● 431d