Forum Topic

TfL is crippled Paul. Yes, income dried up and a proper funding settlement from the government should be forthcoming because London is the main driver of the UK economy. But spanking cash on schemes barely anybody uses isn’t a credible way of going about things. Cycling is a minority leisure activity and always will be. That’s not defeatist Paul, that’s realism.It’s also struggling to control the unions. Tube and bus strikes are a regular occurrence despite Sadiq Khan’s empty promise of zero strike days when he was first campaigning to be mayor. There are recruitment problems and staff sickness problems. Incredibly, they even still have leaves on the line problems. They can’t run services in very cold weather or when it’s very hot.You don’t seem to know much about how transport networks manage. They have to be properly maintained and invested in. Building an over budget line from Reading hasn’t mitigated problems on the Piccadilly or other lines. There was a culture of complacency for decades, to the extent that there were signal boxes from the 1920s being used on certain lines as late as 2012. That’s why money spent on cycle lanes would be better used to improve public transport. It carries more people further and with greater economic benefits.You don’t understand the difference between inner London and outer London. If TfL ask a 20 something in Hoxton what their transport priorities are the answer will be different to that of a 40 something in Ealing. Work, families, etc, all play a part in determining transport needs. Just because you live a particularly niche life doesn’t mean most others do. TfL and local authorities are notorious for fixing their surveys to get the responses they want. You cried about gaming over LTN surveys, yet turn s blind eye to them when it suits you.You seem to think London is some sort of homogeneous entity, when it really isn’t. It’s a vast agglomeration and movement has always been a key component of its success. Simply saying Ealings amenities should improve is a stupid thing to say. It’s been in decline for 30 years and that was accelerated by the opening of Westfield. People will always go to where the best range of things is situated. That’s because of choice, Paul.

Simon Hayes ● 538d

TfL is really struggling Paul. Do you not see that? Clearly you don’t use public transport enough to notice the problems. There were bus strikes on Friday. Nice for the people who can’t get to or from work.Just because TfL is putting cycling infrastructure in doesn’t mean it’s ‘doing well’. That’s your jaundiced view. They could have improved accessibility for all stations with the budgets spent on cycle lanes. Everyone would benefit from that. They are removing bus lanes to accommodate bike lanes. Very sensible, eh?People waving from bikes is just fantasy. I don’t hate the idea, there’s you making stuff up now. People greet others they know but not every random stranger, on a bike or not. Usual nonsense fantasy from you.You said once to me on this forum that I would ‘enjoy living in an LTN’. Well, I didn’t and nor did thousands of others in Ealing. You don’t live in one, and don’t seem in any hurry to get one put in. I wonder why? If the aim is to force people to either give up their cars or use them less then the authorities should be honest about that. But they aren’t and they are not giving people genuine info or unbiased consultation on anything. It’s all bike, bike, bike. The proportion of London’s residents who cycle is tiny and won’t expand to the levels you think it will. It really won’t.You don’t understand choice Paul. You say you want choice in how they move around, except that you don’t. You want them to accept your version of choice. But life is more nuanced than you imagine. Schooling, healthcare, leisure activities, everything is a personal choice. Making life more difficult to exercise that choice, by making access more difficult, isn’t a positive.Ealing doesn’t have an even distribution of great amenities. Some areas are miles from certain things. It’s one of the fundamental drawbacks of the supposed 15 minute city that keeps being mooted. Closing roads and removing parking space doesn’t make it easier for people to use things, does it? Only a utopian fantasist believes London will see an equitable spread of housing, amenities, employment opportunities and everything else people need to make life work. Even the academic studies admit that there will be social cleansing as a result of this concept being implemented.I don’t expect you to understand these points Paul. That’s beyond you, clearly.

Simon Hayes ● 538d

>No Paul, that’s not how it works. ‘People waving from bikes’. How old are you? Six?I can see you hate the idea of this, what a surprise! >You are a misanthrope. You dislike anyone who doesn’t share your narrow agenda. Simon, you're talking about yourself, can't you see that?>Seriously, have you talked to the people in your street who own cars that you don’t think they should be allowed to have them?I don't think this though. I think you're gauging my thought processes along the lines of your own here. I am not you Simon Hayes.>What you simply cannot understand is that people like to have choice. Making stuff up again.I want people to have a choice about how they move around.>It’s a fundamental building block of democratic society. You and your little band of zealots simply want to deny that choice. You've made something up and then replied to it yourself. You're arguing with yourself Simon.>It’s your way or no way. Those countries where that happens are the ones you bleeding heart liberals condemn. Russia, China and all the other states where thinking is centralised and controlled.Making stuff up again and then going off on a conspricacyloon rant.>Do you really think TfL will ‘make things better’ *cough* Elizabeth Line! :D>for people who have their cars removed? Removed?>No chance. They can’t run things now. Strikes. Poor service. No services in some areas. The offer of a travel card? Hilarious. Only a fantasist would seriously believe TfL is capable of making things better.TfL could do better as could government and local authorities yes, but TfL is already doing quite well.

Paul James ● 538d

You clearly have never needed a vehicle to make a living, carry equipment either prohibited on public transport ( and if you read that list it is longer than one would imagine) or too bulky or easy to carry.Nor ever worked unsocial hours.The entire economy of this island is transport reliant. Without it it cannot support 60 million plus people.Already it's shortcomings are a major part of this countries inability to compete and accommodate a better quality of life for all.  It's actually going the other way.The shrinkage in Local employment of acceptable incomes and reasonable quality , along with affordable viable operating locations is huge and almost non existent.  End result? People have to travel more and further.  Working from home is never going to be a mass means. It will eventually lead to most of these occupations being surplus to requirements for the lack of actual productivity.Fact is Paul, you, and everybody else have no idea what people actually use their cars for on a day to day basis as this has not been surveyed, just modelled on assumptions.TfL, The Mayor and Local Authorities have relied on instigation policies based on commissioned clients who say what they want to hear.Then other £millions wasted these almost always fail.For the last 50 years school age children have not all gone to the local school at the bottom of the road. Choice was added to the mix along with cultural requirements.  Some go miles often still with no choice, some even further. If they are lucky a parent going to work might go the same way and drop them off en route.You have parents temporarily renting homes to get their kids into a catchment area. Then they move back and said children have to be driven or spend and age travelling to school.That's the real Britain. Largely because of a neglected and half baked transport network that has never really accommodated population growth or the fact that working class people should be allowed to travel anywhere.'Too many Cars' is the result of those shackled demographics being liberated and free to work elsewhere.  So what do you actually advocate? How exactly can these car drivers make a living en masse without being forced in to 15 hour days getting around?Others spend hours on the bus or train.  And some are home in 5 mins by by or on foot. But it is not and cannot be the same. And with overdensification and not even a proviso factored in for infrastructure to support such policy, this will continue to increase.Assumptions are being made, but the solutions are not helping, rather destroying peoples livelihoods - and it's always the less well off and resourced who get affected.When your stuck rhetoric of 'Too Many cars' is coupled to 'Too Many people' you may have a point.

Raymond Havelock ● 539d