Forum Topic

As a lifelong Cyclist I am frankly almost embarrassed to go out on my bike any more.Cycling has become a lawless skill less show of disrespect for civility and common sense.And that mindset has been encouraged. It's not unique to here. A trip last month to Amsterdam has shown that the once civil,calm way of cycling has also become some sort of wilful disrespect movement.It comes down to the total lack of responsibility and the creation of empowerment to people with a streak of disobedience that is now considered acceptable.Training is not uniform or thorough enough, and way down the list of priorities,Safe diligent and spacially aware cyclists are in a minority, and as I have found over a few years most certainly not welcome in the hierarchy of the LCC.They do not speak for me and I thoroughly resent the assertion that they speak for all riders.There are loads of simple improvements that can be made to make cycling safer and more practicable, and it has to start with mandatory training and certification and enforcement of public roadworthy machines.But such basic common sense as well as simple schemes are shouted down and it's all about showboating and to be seen on the global stage. Even if it's a half baked disaster.I always dreamed about improvements and things designed in when developments come along but that's never really happened, but what we have now merges on insanity and complete arrogance.So sad but what get is what we deserve, as apathy permits this mentality to propagate.

Raymond Havelock ● 549d