Forum Topic

‘Data published by the council shows that westbound flows on Swyncombe Avenue have decreased by 32% from 5002 vehicles a day in 2019 to 3420 vehicles a day in July 2022 and eastbound flows have decreased by 97% from 4851 vehicles a day in 2019 to 164 vehicles a day in July 2022.The scheme’s aim was to encourage active travel modes such as walking and cycling and the council collected data on pedestrian and cyclist numbers on Swyncombe Avenue in November 2021 and July 2022 but did not collect data prior to implementation for comparison. When comparing overall active travel figures from 2021 and 2022 there has actually been a decline, which the council blames on seasonal variation in data collection.On Boston Manor Road, traffic flows have decreased by 28% when comparing the most recent July 2022 traffic data to the November 2016 “before” data. Northbound traffic flows have decreased by 38% from 9181 vehicles a day in 2016 to 5658 vehicles a day in 2022. Southbound traffic flows have decreased by 15% from 7824 vehicles a day in 2016 to 6663 vehicles a day in 2022.However, on Windmill Road, traffic flows have increased by 19% when comparing the most recent July 2022 traffic data to the June 2018 “before” data. Northbound traffic flows have increased by 31% from 4335 vehicles a day in 2018 to 5685 vehicles a day in 2022. Southbound traffic flows have increased by 8% from 4551 vehicles a day in 2018 to 4925 vehicles a day in 2022. The council says this increase is partly due to the Whitestile Road diagonal closure and, as Windmill Road is the only road on which significant increases in traffic has been measured, it believes that a significant amount of vehicle journeys are no longer occurring in the local road network.There has been some increase in bus travel times in the area including on the E2, E8 and 195. For instance, the E2 bus route weekday run times between Orchard Road and Julien Road has increased from an average of 4.8 minutes to 7.4 minutes during the evening rush hours.’So the experiment hadn’t even boosted cycling numbers. No doubt the cycling lobbyists will respond when they’ve got their hands out of their trousers.

Simon Hayes ● 589d

Joining the conversation to spread a fact not an opinion.Back in 2001 those working in the council traffic planning department did not even realise there was a traffic problem in the Lawn Gardens area. I would be surprised if they even knew where Lawn Gardens was.  The road closures only came about through a well orchestrated campaign led by local resident and campaigner Carolyn Brown. It is she who chairs the Hanwell Community Forum and, probably by no coincidence, HCF put their considerable weight behind the campaign too. Success quickly followed as the council accepted her sound arguments and acted accordingly. However, it must be stressed that this was done in two stages.The first stage was that it was going to be implemented as a trial of 12 months (might have been 6) before being reviewed. After 12 months had elasped a review took place and the scheme became permanent.This was in late 2002, so 20 years ago, and the new "NO THROUGH ROUTE TO UXBRIDGE ROAD" signs remained up for a good 5 years after the scheme went live for good!Carolyn once told me that the Myrtle Gardens, Lawn Gardens, Station Road and Half Acre roads were "every cabbie's favourite rat run in west London." I do not know if that was true! Nor do I know what drove her to campaign for it, but it is a fair bet that far too many non-resident vehicles were using these roads as a rat run that influenced her. Carolyn and a large number of other local residents are now delighted with the 20-year old traffic calming measures. After they were installed one resident told me "it is now much more peaceful outside my house." I also happen to know of a resident who lives in these tranquil roads, but marched against the LTN's because it impacted her household!Since LTN's are imposed as a traffic calming measures by transport planners, it is right to refer to Lawn Gardens as a LTN.

Ben Owen ● 592d