Forum Topic

So how do you suggest people make a living? Less able and elderly get around?How exactly will making a living be possible in your Green world?It is not properly possible. This is just gesture posturing.Never mind the politicians. It's all very well pontificating about the future but we are all living here because it is a means to a living.It is a better place by miles from all that has been done over 70 years.  Far less polluted and illnesses that purveyed en masse are now very isolated and almost eradicated. Despite increases in populous and traffic.The direction with engineering R&D has been nudging closer and closer to pollution free machines. Now largely halted by the screaming hysteria.Yet the much vaunted environmental solutions are even worse for poor use of resources and unproven longevity.  The problem is simply shifted to another place. The best we can do is use stuff frugally and responsibly and most people have always done this instinctively.  Marketing and business create a desire to do otherwise. Use more electricity, energy effeminacy comes at a price that is unaffordable to most and the numbers simply don't add up.LTNs are an example. It has increased my fuel and mileage by 75%.If you can tell me how I transport 18kg of work equipment to various locations safely and without risk, I would love to know.It's interesting that so many keen on LTNs are middle class and insulated from the tough realities of living in this city. Delivery drivers who work their nuts off for just £25 a day, but hey it's environmentally sound. Is it?Splitting and dividing a large but interwoven community is disastrous for too many. But OK for those who are cushioned against it. Where riding a bike about is trendy and cool a.( Because if your lucky enough to be fit and able. or b. You have don't have to go to work or c. You do a non productive office type occupation or like several I know, including my boss, Use a courier to take your work stuff to workplace whilst cycling. Something two Mayors of London did.No mention as ever about over densification, inadequate living conditions being foisted upon too many or all the other things that far exceed the footprint of the car.No mention of the problems now faced daily by elderly and voluntary workers or the additional costs incurred and damage to local businesses.The legacy for the future will be lovely in a fluffy cosy world but the reality is it will be hideously competitive and very limited if restricted in such ways.

Raymond Havelock ● 1074d

Here we go, pretty much all the assumption you've made abotu me are wrong so I've skipped a few of those.>I suspect you DO drive & own a car.I drive sometimes, I don't own a motor vehicle in any way shape or form. I use a car club and can pick up a car or a van when I really need, which is vanishingly rare for me.>Like the majority of us you will use it to get from A to B Invalid premise, I don't own a car>Maybe for shopping, Maybe, very occasionally I'll use a car to do bulk shopping.>get to workpublic transport or cycle>carrying goods or freightI'll use a van to do that if I'm going to do it myself (which I don't own)>too cold for a bike Er, warm clothes.>No one drives for funThis is untrue, take a trip to mayfair!>it’s a necessity.I disagree, there are options to avoid car use I think many many more could do those first.>We all want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, save time, money & fuel- no doubt EXACTLY the same as you ( although you will be in some form of denial)You seem to presume a car facilities this, when in fact it's often the opposite.>You could be one of these luvvies who think a cargo bike solves everything, Nope.>although tell that to a tradesman carrying his boiler for example & tools.nobody is saying cars or vans should be banned.>Roads are an essential part of the infrastructure & quite obviously the less available the more congested others will be.Nope.>An obstruction - flowerpots in the middle of the road, technically closes it & puts eyes pressure & traffic on others.Nope.>These are basic facts probably covered by some science or other.Science actually says the opposite.>The general public, however much Mayors, politicians TFL produce twisted figures, bordering on lies. The majority of the general public in Ealing are against them.Your blinkered view & constant denial are not in keeping with the majority I suspect the majority support LTNS. Your assertion is they don't.>as you can see by the posts on this forum.Nope.>The council are guilty to of going against the public wishes I disagree

Paul James ● 1085d

Paul James Khan, you clearly are selective about what you answer.I suspect you DO drive & own a car.Like the majority of us you will use it to get from A to B , obviously.Maybe for shopping, get to work, carrying goods or freight, to cold for a bike ,unhealthy or less able bodied etc, any number of reasons.Like any of us.No one drives for fun, it’s a necessity.We all want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, save time, money & fuel- no doubt EXACTLY the same as you ( although you will be in some form of denial)You may well be retired so can journey at a time that suits you & don’t have a schedule as such.Perhaps a job with flexible hours where you can stagger your start time.You could be one of these luvvies who think a cargo bike solves everything, although tell that to a tradesman carrying his boiler for example & tools.I’m sure they won’t be easy targets for a thiefRoads are an essential part of the infrastructure & quite obviously the less available the more congested others will be.An obstruction - flowerpots in the middle of the road, technically closes it & puts eyes pressure & traffic on others.These are basic facts probably covered by some science or other.The general public, however much Mayors, politicians TFL produce twisted figures, bordering on lies. The majority of the general public in Ealing are against them.Your blinkered view & constant denial are not in keeping with the majority as you can see by the posts on this forum.The council are guilty to of going against the public wishes & should be held accountable

Peter Yale ● 1085d

On Mondays by any chance?The one day of the week when there is chaos in Northfields/BM/South Ealing as so many roads were and are blocked by refuse and recycling trucks from 7am till around 1pm.It now takes an Hour - sometimes more, on the bus from Ravenscourt Park to Brentford30 mins of which is between King St and Chiswick Lane/ Turnham Green.The E8 takes up to 45min to get from Brentford to Ealing Broadway, most of which is stuck in Boston Manor Road and the Uxbridge Road.  It takes almost as long in the return trip.  And this now happens in the mid evening.  The only time I recall that is in snowstorms or road diversions.South Ealing Road remains dogged with gas leaks and more road works primarily because it cannot cope with the increase in HGVs seeking to avoid Boston Manor Road and Northfields Ave.You, like me and anyone else Paul, would only notice the exceptional. So I too can recall the really bad blockages. But they are usually because of unusual factors. Accidents or incidents. Refuse collections, road works.You stop short of the circumstances of such "chaos"The difference is these 'exceptional' delays have become the norm.As a resident stuck in an LTN or on the edge of one it leaves no alternative but to add to that congestion. The myriad of alternatives routes are blocked.What was diluted traffic is now concentrated. Concentration leads to far more pollution from idling and stop start movements which add to brake and clutch dust levels.That's a lot of idling traffic in several locations and hugely increased pollution.Oh! in case you have not noticed that either, we have wind, so that concentrated pollution gets spread, and when it's not windy these residential main roads get constant pollution. Places where people shop, eat, do business and generally have to go to at some point.As a local cyclist, LTNs make no difference to getting around. It was always easy and safe - as long as you can ride a bike or scooter safely and with due care.  Sadly thats a far bigger problem.It was always OK and easy.But I too, have to use the main roads at some point in both modes and this has become far worse.

Raymond Havelock ● 1087d