Forum Topic

Paul, it wasn't my attempt to belittle you but you do create the impression that you feel that part of the problem is the moral deficiency of others. You say you are pro-clean air and safer roads and anti-congestion as if only those of your views could claim to be likewise.  On the issue of supermarket deliveries, I don't think either of us knows the answer for sure. The van, which generally isn't electric, delivers on the basis of time order was made rather than geographical proximity rather than the time the order was made so almost definitely drives further and spends longer on the road than the 20 individual cars that would have done if the shopping was collected personally. It seems to me a reasonable assumption that if, the delivery van alternative is diesel, I am improving local air quality by driving to the shops. The broader point here is that these issues are very complex and simplistic solutions are often counterproductive. Whatever the draw back of buses they are an essential part of public transport particularly in the way many lower income groups are dependent on them. A better more reliable network has significant potential to encourage people to switch from using cars, unfortunately bus usage and service levels have been falling in London prior to the pandemic. Locally after the pandemic the service won't be helped by direction of more traffic onto distributor roads which also are nearly always bus routes. This is likely to lead a significant number of people electing not to revert back to bus travel from using their car. I don't know if you are familiar with Gunnersbury Park but the parking capacity on site is not what people are concerned about, it is the access road to the car park which is long, narrow and single file. If cars enter off Popes Lane and other vehicles are exiting the car park at the same time there is a potential for it to become logjammed. The vehicle usage of the park is set to grow significantly when the sports hub and related facilities are up to full capacity.

Gordon Southwell ● 1107d

Nice gaslighting attempts again Paul. Shame you can’t block people on here who disagree with you.You do come across as an entirely smug individual. There’s no option for anyone other than to agree with your world view. You just want to alienate people who live in this borough rather than understand why their perceptions might differ from yours.You use tenuous evidence to back up your arguments, cherry picking data that supports you rather than looking at the whole picture. Nice bit of cognitive bias, as usual.Those delivery vans aren’t electric. 99 percent of them are diesel powered. Many are sub contractors using even older vans. They are also on the roads far longer. A better approach from you would be to campaign against too much being ordered online, creating far more ‘unnecessary journeys’. Has it never occurred to you that these vehicles come from depots some distance away and therefore create more pollution? They also do the rounds on Sundays and late evenings, disturbing the peace and quiet of our residential streets.I’d agree that you do seem to view car owners as morally beneath you. It’s the only explanation for why you persist in attacking them and their perfectly legal use of a vehicle taxed and insured and paid for.You presume to know each and every person’s circumstances, yet cannot comprehend why they should not fall into line with your lifestyle.Gunnersbury Park and it’s new £13.8m sports hub needs to attract thousands of paying customers every week to make it viable. It’s naive of you to think the immediate hinterland will provide that customer base. There will be people from all over using it, many driving there for reasons outlined elsewhere. Inadequate parking provision simply pushes the problem into surrounding roads. It’s what happened when they held the music events there in recent years. And it will happen again.

Simon Hayes ● 1107d

Paul, this point has been better made by others before me but it does seem to me that you do seem to consider this issue as primarily a moral one. The problem from your perspective is that most of the rest of us lack your virtue and, if only we could be persuaded to recognise the error of our ways, things would get better. Unfortunately the issue is a lot more complex than that. The desire for cleaner air and safer roads is universal, despite what you might think, and travel patterns have adjusted a lot over the last two decades probably mainly because of increased motoring costs rather than anything else. This means that conducting policy in a way that targets what are deemed to be 'unnecessary' journeys are doomed to failure because the overwhelming majority of motor vehicle trips are necessary and can't be substituted with a more sustainable form of transport. The small number of recidivist car users who use the car when they could easily walk or cycle will be difficult to discourage by any policy and besides, these journeys are short, and will therefore account for a very small proportion of vehicles on the road at anyone time. Not owning a car does necessarily make you not part of the problem. All the services and utilities you receive plus visitors, and the goods that are delivered not just to your doorstep means that your presence in London generates extra traffic. I would further argue that my short trip to the supermarket in my ULEZ compliant car is better for the environment than the refrigerated diesel van that will bring groceries to your doorstep. This is a complex and possibly intractable issue that you would be wrong to view as some sort of moral crusade. A desire to punish car users out of a misplaced sense of superior virtue is not going to bring us cleaner air or safer roads. This is not to say that we don't need to act. Population growth in Ealing in particular is going to lead to significant local challenges and we shouldn't fall for the lie that car free developments don't generate more traffic.  Ultimately the only way we can improve the situation on our roads to a meaningful degree is by better more accessible public transport. Hopefully when the government stops playing games with TfL over its finances it can get back to working out ways to deliver the services we are going to need. Even if they achieve that the situation at Gunnersbury Park looks problematic. If all ten pitches were in use during the course of an afternoon it is hard to see how utter gridlock could be avoided at the car park entrance.

Gordon Southwell ● 1107d