Forum Topic

There is a growing habit of parking by driving forwards straight up onto the pavement.  It isn't legal to drive on the pavement.  This is lazy driving and is often practised by van drivers but not only van drivers.  We have watched amazed as somebody did this in a car where there was plenty of parking space so no excuse claiming a difficulty.  This damages paving stones and dislodges the kerbstones.As someone who was unable to walk easily and pain-free for a long time after tripping on a rolling paving tone I am flabbergasted by the lack of care that drivers take of the paving stones.  The one I fell on had been caused by building work which had not been made good properly.  Builders are supposed to make good and their clients should make sure that this happens.  It may be them or theirs who suffer the consequences.  Not everyone gets up again, gets out of hospital or regains their mobility and confidence.I was unable to support my family and care for my new grandson. I could not climb stairs as I could not put weight on one leg for months.  I ended up needing help myself.  Several other people fell in the same place that day something that would not have been obvious without a pancake salesman in his van seeing them and speaknig up and www.fixmystreet.com entries which I found when I hsd help uploading a photo and reporting the dangerous problem. Luckily I did not need stitches and managed to limp away and did not go to hospital because I wanted to see my new grandson!Nearby a scaffolding lorry parked across the pavement and the paving stones look like smashed square biscuits.Many older people have falls.Vacant electric charging spacers provide short term paving for delivery vans.In Hounslow you can use www.fixmystreet.com to report street problems.  In Ealing there is an app for the smartphone. Falls are the leading cause of death in older people.https://www.rcpe.ac.uk/sites/default/files/anderson.pdf

Philippa Bond ● 1332d