West Ealing Fire Blamed on Candle

Maisonette on Green Man Lane gutted by blaze

Maisonette on Green Man Lane gutted by blaze
Picture: London Fire Brigade

London Fire Brigade say they believe a candle was responsible for a fire that broke out in West Ealing this Saturday (18 July).

The blaze started shortly before 3.54pm in a maisonette on Green Man Lane.

Most of a four-roomed home split across the second and third floors of the building was damaged. One woman and two men left the building before the Brigade arrived and were treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters attended and put out the blaze within an hour. Crews from Ealing, Southall and Acton fire stations were at the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire in the home. To avoid accidents, keep them out of the reach of children and pets.

"We recommend that you swap your candles for flameless, LED candles. They are much safer as you can leave them unattended and you don't have to worry about them being knocked over."


July 20, 2020